Monday, January 18, 2010

We don't dive, we cannonball.



it sure does.

today i did manage to pour coffee all over myself. everywhere. down the front of my nice white shirt. spattering my arms. along my pants, my shoes. i didn't mind, not at all.

because i've come to realize how much i love this place. sure, i hate it the vast majority of the time. but with my new schedule, i'm only in two days a week, and well...i find myself looking forward to them. the cafe has become my space to breathe - to be myself. i realized this today as i crammed myself into a small spot inside of a cabinet (i can fit into tiny places & Really Clean) to wipe down some spilled espresso...i realized how at home i feel in this little place (the cafe - not the cabinet).

a lot of this is within the people - those regulars that i've come to look forward to so much. they've all remembered to ask me how my new job is going, and they even tell me that it's not the same without me there. there's comfort in still knowing that T will still have his large iced skim latte, that B will still have her french roast with a refill, that the three o'clockers will still come and that i still know all of this the way i know the street i grew up on, or the back of my hand.

this place has a heart and soul. as i clean out the floor of the fridge for the 1,000th time, lining the counter top with the cold milk steamers, wiping old milk to make room for more old milk, i feel part of it, for a brief moment. and because everyone, and everything, needs to be taken care of, in some way or another.

in other news, the Boy from Next Door has come in and we've exchanged e-mails for networking. it's nice to know that people are helpful, and that i can somehow manage to network (this is not the first e-mail i've exchanged regarding publishing/"real" work) from behind the counter of a cafe as the Coffee Girl. however, as enthralling as the Boy Next Door was to me for some time, life has once again proven to be very interesting and unexpected, in that you might find yourself driving with the windows down on a sunny winter day listening to Thao ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=966nqAtqWzE ) with a good friend who suddenly shines in a new light & makes your heart beat a bit faster.

job shifts. perspective shifts. the unexpected. some sunny days.

1 comment: