Sunday, December 6, 2009

When the world hands you lemons, make lemonade.


I've made so many lattes & cappuccinos that I can actually create little works of art with the foam/espresso. I LOVE it. Pouring in the espresso, dark, black, that brown cream on top. Pouring the milk on top, a rich mixture of brown, white. Blending, swirling, hot. If I twirl the spoon through the top of the foam, I can create a beautiful swirl. I even created a heart the other day - sort of by accident, sort of not. I always like to see what shapes will occur naturally from the pouring of the milk into the espresso...& then maybe help them out a little into forming something interesting.



I love making lattes.

Today, I drove to the cafe & looked at the beautiful snow along the tree branches. A white world. It was so refreshing to wake to - & so early in the morning, I felt like my eyes were the first to see the world covered for the first time this year.

When I got to work, I walked down the stairs, & the smell of the stairs brought me back to summer. I could almost feel the sweat that would start back in July as I walked through the doors. & when that smell hit me, & i was brought back to so many months ago, I suddenly realized just how much time has passed.

Six months.

Six months ago today, I was lying in a grassy backyard, staring up at the sunshine, laughing with my roommates. We were finished with college. Done. Nothing to do, not a care in the world. Accomplishment, wine & sunshine, love & friends. I remember I was wearing a blue dress, & I felt pretty, & I didn't know who C was, or the difference between a latte and a cappuccino, & i certainly couldn't feel or see every single rib in my body, & i didn't know what it meant to push my body to extreme limits, or how to be firm with people, or how to do quick math or lie on the spot, or the numbers and varieties of coffees, & most importantly, the taste of a GOOD cup of coffee, & how to identify a bad cup of coffee.

& i certainly didn't know how to make an art-gallery-caliber latte.

& this is all I have. Apparently, the world decided to hand me espresso. & so - I make lattes [for now].

No comments:

Post a Comment